Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Inverness, High Street, Clach-na-cudainn

Stone (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Inverness, High Street, Clach-na-cudainn

Classification Stone (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 13321

Site Number NH64NE 11

NGR NH 6668 4521

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/13321

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Inverness And Bona
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Inverness
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NH64NE 11 6668 4521.

(NH 6668 4521) 'Clach-na-Cudainn' or "Stone of the Tubs"..now rests at the foot of the town cross in front of the Town Hall. Traditionally women used to rest their water stoups on it as they passed up from the river. The stone is mentioned as early as the time of Harlaw, when the townsmen rejoiced to find it had escaped the burning of Inverness by Donald of the Isles. Still earlier it is said to have been the seat of a seer, who prophesied that so long as Inverness preserved the stone the place would so long as Inverness preserved the stone the place would prosper. But the probability is that the sacredness of the 'Clach-na-Cudainn' dates from a much remoter time.

G Eyre-Todd 1923.

The Clach-na-Cudainn is now embedded in the top of the steps of the Market Cross (NH64NE 10). The flat top of the stone measures 1.0m x 0.8m and is almost flush with the top of the steps.

Visited by OS (W D J) 1 April 1960.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions