Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Green Hill

Spigot Mortar Mounting(S) (20th Century)

Site Name Green Hill

Classification Spigot Mortar Mounting(S) (20th Century)

Canmore ID 132758

Site Number NS25SW 36

NGR NS 2378 5160

NGR Description Centred on NS 2378 5160

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/132758

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council North Ayrshire
  • Parish Dalry (Cunninghame)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Cunninghame
  • Former County Ayrshire

Archaeology Notes

NS25SW 36 2378 5160

A series of five spigot mortar mountings are spread over the SW-facing slope of Green Hill to the N of the secondary road from Dalry to Glenside near Fairlie. Comprising an octagonal concrete block with a steel 'spigot' and circular plate on top, placed on a concrete base. The mortar positions are depicted as 'pillars' on the current (chart) edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1980) and are also visible on vertical air photographs (RAF 106G/Scot/UK 77, flown 1946, 3018-19.

Information from RCAHMS (DE) 12 August 1998

This World War II spigot mortar range is situated on the N side of the road between the A78 (T) at Glenside and Giffordland, S of Knockendon Reservoir.

Four spigot mortar mountings were noted with one other unknown type of mounting.

J Guy 2001; NMRS 810/11, Vol.1 74-5; Vol.2 (appendix), 4, 5

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions