Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dalkeith Colliery

Colliery(S) (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Dalkeith Colliery

Classification Colliery(S) (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Dalkeith 5, 8, And 9; Smeaton Colliery

Canmore ID 132493

Site Number NT36NE 76

NGR NT 3520 6902

NGR Description centred

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/132493

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Lothian
  • Parish Inveresk (East Lothian)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District East Lothian
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT36NE 76 centred 3520 6902

The coal mine is visible on vertical air photographs (OS 75/292/74-5, flown 1975) (c. NS 352 690).

Information from RCAHMS.

DALKEITH 5 and 9 Colliery

Location: Smeaton

Previous Owners: A G Moore & Company

Types of Coal: House and Manufacturing

Sinking/Production Commenced: 1903

Year Closed: 1978

Average Workforce: 617

Peak Workforce: 898

Peak Year: 1964

Shaft/Mine Details: Originally 6 surface mines, eventually only 2 brought into operation. No. 6 was for ventilation and manriding, and both 7 and 8 were for access. Only Nos. 5 and 9 were therefore used for production.

Details in 1948: Output 490 tons per day, 122,500 per annum. 401 employees. Dickson and Mann Lurig type washer (replaced in 1953). Canteen (not in use), first-aid room. All electricity bought from SE Scotland Electricity Board. Report dated 15-07-1948.

Other Details: A large new washery was built adjacent to Mine No. 9 in 1953, and received the output from the Dalkeith and neighbouring collieries (Meadowmill (NT47SW 56), Winton (NT46NW 81), Limeylands (NT46NW 78), Oxenford (NT36NE 89), Castle (NT36NE 90), Carberry (NT37SE 111) and Tynemount (NT46NW 80)). Waste was then taken by aerial ropeway to the old bing at Dalkeith 1, 2 and 3 (NT36NE 91). Plans for the development of two new drifts (10 and 11) in the 1950s were never realised.

RCAHMS 2006

Site identified during an archaeological assessement carried out by CFA Archaeology Ltd.

Mhairi Hastie, 2006.

Activities

Desk Based Assessment (2006)

Site identified during an archaeological assessement carried out by CFA Archaeology Ltd.

Mhairi Hastie, 2006.

Note

The coal mine is visible on vertical air photographs (OS 75/292/74-5, flown 1975) (c. NS 352 690).

Information from RCAHMS.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions