Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Dunlichity Parish Church Of Scotland

Church (Period Unassigned), Cup Marked Stone (Prehistoric), Gravestone (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Dunlichity Parish Church Of Scotland

Classification Church (Period Unassigned), Cup Marked Stone (Prehistoric), Gravestone (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 13236

Site Number NH63SE 6

NGR NH 65976 32969

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Daviot And Dunlichity
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Inverness
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NH63SE 6.00 65976 32969

NH63SE 6.01 Centred on NH 65978 32962 Burial Ground

NH63SE 6.02 NH 65975 32944 Watch House

(NH 6595 3297) Dunlichity Church was built in 1759 to replace an earlier structure of which some walls remain. It was repaired in 1826 and much recast. The graveyard contains many interesting monuments including the walled enclosure of the MacGillivrays, and a simple gabled watch-house at the churchyard gate.

G Hay 1957; New Statistical Account (NSA, Rev James Macphail) 1845; SDD 1964.

The old part of the church was built in 1569.

Information from Major C J Shaw to OS 5 Feburary 1962.

In the churchyard is a yellow sandstone gravestone with 38 cup-marks, and broken into two parts.

W Jolly 1882.

The church is harled and in use. The burial enclosures at the E and W ends, possibly contain parts of an earlier fabric. There is no trace of the broken cup-marked gravestone, and there was no local information regarding it.

Visited by OS (A A) 21 April 1970.

A survey of graveyard monuments in Dunlichity churchyard was carried out in July 1997 by S Farrell. 298 memorials were recorded.

S Farrell 1997, NMRS MS/997/4.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions