Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Tordarroch

Cup Marked Stone (Prehistoric), Ring Cairn (Neol/bronze Age), Stone Circle (Neol/bronze Age)

Site Name Tordarroch

Classification Cup Marked Stone (Prehistoric), Ring Cairn (Neol/bronze Age), Stone Circle (Neol/bronze Age)

Canmore ID 13211

Site Number NH63SE 3

NGR NH 6801 3350

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/13211

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Daviot And Dunlichity
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Inverness
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NH63SE 3 6801 3350.

(NH 6801 3350) Stone Circle {NR}

OS 6" map, Inverness, 2nd ed., (1905)

Tordarroch: A ring cairn now crossed by a drainage ditch on the E and a wall on the SW. Though greatly ruined it can be seen that the monument has been particularly impressive, covering a larger area and employing more massive stones than usual. Few of the stones remain standing, but many of them have fallen inwards or outwards and have not been disturbed, and the only considerable gap in the circle is on the north side. A large prone slab measuring 5 ft. by 6 ft. on the S.W. side opposite the tallest monolith is marked with thirty-three or thirty-four cup-marks. The slab appears to have fallen outwards from the kerb. If this is so the cupmarks must have faced inwards and been hidden by cairn material. The stone was already in its present position in 1881 before the wall which now crosses it had been built. The interior of the cairn has been removed and the ground is greatly disturbed. In 1879 five stones were visible in the centre.

There have been nine monoliths encircling the cairn; seven of the stones remain upright. One fallen stone remains over its original position to the NE and another stone was recorded by Fraser (J Fraser 1884) on the SW side, but it has since been removed. Many large stones lie about the site.

A S Henshall 1963, visited 8 April 1957; J Fraser 1884; W Jolly 1882.

The remains of this ring cairn are as described above.

Resurveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (W D J) 10 September 1963.

This ring-cairn is situated in low-lying ground in the corner of an improved field. It measures 20m in diameter, within a kerb of stones up to 1.3m in height. The N arc has been destroyed and the centre of the cairn has been much disturbed and denuded of stone. On the SW there is a flat slab, whose upper surface measures 1.8m by 1.5m; it bears at least 36 cup-marks measuring up to 75mm across and 25mm deep, with one oblong cup measuring 100mm long by 75mm broad. Around the cairn, at a distance of 7m from it, there is a circle of monoliths; eight stones remain, one, on the WSW, having fallen. The tallest stone is on the SW, measuring 2.25m in height.

(USN93 212-13)

Visited by RCAHMS (SDB) 5 November 1992.

Scheduled as 'Tordarroch, ring cairn 250m E of'.

Information from Historic Scotland, scheduling document dated 29 August 2007.

Activities

Field Visit (17 August 1943)

This site was recorded as part of the RCAHMS Emergency Survey, undertaken by Angus Graham and Vere Gordon Childe during World War 2. The project archive has been catalogued during 2013-2014 and the material, which includes notebooks, manuscripts, typescripts, plans and photographs, is now available online.

Information from RCAHMS (GF Geddes) 12 November 2014.

Project (July 1989)

Pre-afforestation survey undertaken in Tordarroch, Davoit and Dunlichty, Inverness, commissioned by Historic Buildings and Monuments, Scottish Development department.

S T Driscoll, 1989.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions