Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lewis, Arnol

Head Dyke (Post Medieval), Township (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Lewis, Arnol

Classification Head Dyke (Post Medieval), Township (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 131435

Site Number NB34NW 2.03

NGR NB 3110 4860

NGR Description From NB 3111 4893 to NB 3095 4831

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/131435

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Western Isles
  • Parish Barvas
  • Former Region Western Isles Islands Area
  • Former District Western Isles
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Activities

Note

A linear crofting township, comprising twenty-three roofed buildings and twenty enclosures is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Island of Lewis Ross-shire 1853, sheet 8). Lengths of head-dyke run to the N and S of this township.

The crofting township of Arnol is shown at almost the same location on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1974).

Comparison between current OS 1:10000 maps and the 1st edition OS 6-inch would suggest that the linear crofting township has moved slightly to the SE, perhaps when the present roads was constructed between 1893 and 1897 or when the present crofting field-system was allotted.

Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 18 February 1997.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions