Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lewis, Ballantrushal

Head Dyke (Post Medieval), Township (Period Unassigned), Township (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Lewis, Ballantrushal

Classification Head Dyke (Post Medieval), Township (Period Unassigned), Township (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Siadeir Uarach

Canmore ID 131354

Site Number NB35SE 43

NGR NB 3820 5360

NGR Description Centred NB 3820 5360

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/131354

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Western Isles
  • Parish Barvas
  • Former Region Western Isles Islands Area
  • Former District Western Isles
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NB35SE 43.00 centred 3820 5360

NB35SE 43.01 3820 5360 Township; Mill (Possible)

NB35SE 43.02 3822 5396 Buildings

NB35SE 43.03 3816 5382 Building

NB35SE 43.04 3801 5389 Building

NB35SE 43.05 3850 5350 Crofting Township

Two phases of development of this site are decernable from the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Isle of Lewis, Ross-shire 1853, sheet 5). The 1st phase is a township on the banks of Allt Glas. Three isolated sites (NB35SE 43.02-.04) may also be of this phase. The second phase is the development of the crofting township which remains to the present. Also depicted are some lengths of head-dyke, as well as an extensive system of head-dykes (NB45SW 31) to the SE, which may be partly associated with this crofting township.

Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 10 January 1997.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions