Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lewis, Dail Bho Thuath

Township (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Lewis, Dail Bho Thuath

Classification Township (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 131282

Site Number NB46SE 28

NGR NB 498 616

NGR Description Centred on NB 498 616

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/131282

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Western Isles
  • Parish Barvas
  • Former Region Western Isles Islands Area
  • Former District Western Isles
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NB46SE 28.00 centred on 498 616

NB46SE 28.01 NB 4985 6165 Buildings

NB46SE 28.02 NB 4975 6183 Buildings

NB46SE 28.03 NB 4946 6183 Buildings

NB46SE 28.04 NB 4985 6145 Buildings

The Object Name Book (OS) states that the township is 'A large village of huts about 24 miles from Stornoway , on the road which leads to the Port of Ness. The huts are low, built of peat moss and stone, and thatched with straw.

There is a large portion of tolerably good arable land attached to it and the produce of which the inhabitants chiefly subsist.

Name Book 1853

A crofting township comprising four foci or rows is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Island of Lewis, Ross-shire 1853, sheet 3). One focus is adjacent to the main Stornoway to Ness road. Twenty roofed buildings, two partially roofed and five unroofed buildings are shown on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map. To the SE is an extensive system of head-dykes (NB56SW 69) which may be partly associated with this crofting township.

The township may have extended to include the area between the Abhainn Dhail and Abainn Chrois.

The less regular layout of the buildings suggests that NB46SE 28.01 and .03 are earlier than NB46SE 28.02 and .04. the latter are part of a later crofting improvement which is still extant on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1992). The main focus of the township has shifted to the area adjacent to the main road (NB46SE 28.04).

Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 20 June 1997.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions