Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, Broomielaw

No Class (Event)

Site Name Glasgow, Broomielaw

Classification No Class (Event)

Canmore ID 131010

Site Number NS56SE 177

NGR NS 586 649

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/131010

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Glasgow (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS56SE 177 586 649

NS 586 649 Construction of a casino by Stakis plc at the W side of the N end of George V Bridge, between Oswald and Robertson Streets. A watching brief of the excavation of the foundations retrieved dumps of glass and ceramic manufacturing waste and the timber piles of an earlier quay line. A large area on the waterfront itself had been disturbed by subsidence and the construction of the 1974 Clydeside Walkway.

Both the glass and ceramic waste date to the mid-19th century. The glass waste is thought to have originated at the Clyde Street Glassworks which stood at the corner of Jamaica street and was demolished in c1840.

The ceramic waste consists of white earthenwares. Biscuit-fired sherds, some moulded or sponge painted or with transfers applied, are dominant and around 1200 sherds altogether, and around 250 pieces of kiln furniture and fragments of saggers have been retrieved.

Sponsor: Stakis plc.

F Baker 1995.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions