Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

St Colman's Chapel

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Chapel (Period Unassigned)

Site Name St Colman's Chapel

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Chapel (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Kilmachalmag

Canmore ID 13036

Site Number NH59NW 3

NGR NH 5048 9866

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/13036

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Kincardine (Sutherland)
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Sutherland
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NH59NW 3 5048 9866

(NH 5048 9865) Old Burial Ground {NAT}

OS 6" map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1907).

See also NH59NW 8.

At Kilmachalmag - St. Colman's Cell - is a small, unenclosed graveyard overgrown with weeds and briars. Adjoining it is the foundation of a small oblong building which may represent the old chapel.

W J Watson 1910.

The dedication is probably to Colman Eala (died 611).

W J Watson 1926.

Although partially enclosed by a stone dyke, the limits of the old burial ground cannot now be completely determined. No graves are visible and the area is now part of a pasture field. The building foundations consist of grassed-over stone footings 0.4m high and 8.5 x 4.0m. Published Survey (25") revised.

Visited by OS (R D L) 24 May 1963.

The evidence of the place-name "Kilmachalmack", the strong local tradition of a burial ground and the dimensions of the building, as described by the previous field investigator, leave little doubt that it is a chapel. An early modern field dyke and clearance overlays its north wall and extends a further 8.0m to the west. From this point a denuded turf-covered wall, probably of the graveyard swings around to terminate just south of the probable chapel.

Re-surveyd at 1:10 000.

Visited by OS (N K B), 6 January 1977.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions