Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lewis, Skigersta

Fishing Station (Period Unassigned)(Possible), Head Dyke (Post Medieval), Township (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Lewis, Skigersta

Classification Fishing Station (Period Unassigned)(Possible), Head Dyke (Post Medieval), Township (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 129510

Site Number NB56SW 61

NGR NB 5470 6180

NGR Description Centred on NB 5470 6180

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/129510

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Western Isles
  • Parish Barvas
  • Former Region Western Isles Islands Area
  • Former District Western Isles
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NB56SW 61 centred on 5470 6180

The Object Name Book (OS) describes the township as 'Two groups of huts one of which is on the sea-coast, and one about 1/4 of a mile from it in a SW direction.

They are built of peat and stone and thatched with straw, with the exception of two which are slated and used as fish curing houses'.

Name Book 1853

A crofting township, part of which may be a fishing station, comprising thirty roofed buildings and eighteen enclosures, and a head-dyke are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Island of Lewis, Ross-shire 1853, sheet 3). Thirty-six roofed, five unroofed buildings are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1992).

Information fom RCAHMS (AKK) 23 April 1998.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions