Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lewis, Cross

Township (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Lewis, Cross

Classification Township (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 129494

Site Number NB56SW 22

NGR NB 5055 6201

NGR Description Centred NB 5055 6201

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/129494

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Western Isles
  • Parish Barvas
  • Former Region Western Isles Islands Area
  • Former District Western Isles
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NB56SW 22 centred 5055 6201

The Object Name Book (OS), describes the township as 'A small village of huts built of earth and stone and thathced with straw. It is in rising ground between Dhail and Suainbost and is separated from the latter place by a deep drain. The road leading from Stornoway to Ness runs through it. It has a large tract of arable and considerable portion of indifferent moorland attached to it'.

Name Book 1852

A crofting township, comprising eighteen roofed, two partially roofed buildings which are annotated as 'ruin', ten unroofed buildings and thirty-five enclosures is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Island of Lewis, Ross-shire 1853, sheet 3). To the SE is an extensive system of head-dykes (NB56SW 69) which may be partly associated with this crofting township.

A more extensive crofting township that that on the 1st edition is shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1992).

Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 23 June 1997.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions