Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Black Hill

Cup And Ring Marked Stone (Prehistoric), Cup Marked Stone (Prehistoric)

Site Name Black Hill

Classification Cup And Ring Marked Stone (Prehistoric), Cup Marked Stone (Prehistoric)

Canmore ID 12896

Site Number NH56SE 10

NGR NH 5737 6370

NGR Description NH 5737 6370 and NH 5738 6376

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/12896

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Kiltearn
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NH56SE 10 5737 6370 and 5738 6376.

On the N.E. slopes of Black Hill, at 650ft OD., there are two cup-marked stones at NH 5737 6370 (A) and NH 57386376 (B).

'A' is a large flat stone, 1.7m x 1m, flush with the ground, with about 40 cup-marks, 1 cup-and-ring mark and 2 cup-marks joined by a groove. This is clearly the stone referred to in (PSAS 1912).

'B' is an irregular-shaped boulder, 1.5m long, 0.8m wide and 0.5m high, on which about 15 cup-marks are visible. This may be the stone described by Macrae (N Macrae 1923).

Surveyed at 1/2500. Photo.

Visited by OS (N K B) 30 June 1965.

Cup-marked Rock (NR) (Twice)

OS 1:10,000 map, (1971)

Stone 'A' has approximately 37 plain cup-marks, 1 cup and ring, one 'dumbell', and concentrated at its N end 10 'scoops' appearing as enlarged cups, sub circular in plan. Two faint grooves form a cross shape on the stone surface. The stones are otherwise as described above.

Visited by OS (J B) 18 November 1976.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions