Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Bedlay Colliery

Colliery (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Bedlay Colliery

Classification Colliery (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 128929

Site Number NS77SW 22

NGR NS 720 705

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/128929

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council North Lanarkshire
  • Parish Cadder (Strathkelvin-la)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Strathkelvin
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS77SW 22 720 705

Bedlay Colliery, Annathill: Two shaft pit with modern enclosed headgear on one shaft, older open type on other (upcast); modern washery. A large diameter chimney may have been for mine ventilation. Rail transport still in use at time of visit, but British Rail locomotive (350 h.p. 060D), not one of two National Coal Board locomotives (locomotives 040ST, National Coal Borad loco. 5, (Barclay 1968 and 1929) and 060T no.1 (Neilson, Reid and Co., 5710)). Electric winders on both shafts. Closure expected in 1970.

Visited and photographed by J R Hume, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, 29th December 1967.

Information from NMRS MS.749/157/1.

(Location cited as NS 7205 7056 - centred on Shaft No.1). BEDLAY Colliery

Location: by Glenboig

Previous Owners: William Baird & Company Limited, later Bairds & Scottish Steel Limited

Types of Coal: Coking, Manufacturing and House

Sinking/Production Commenced: 1905

Year Closed: 1981

Year Abandoned: 1982

Average Workforce: 792

Peak Workforce: 870

Peak Year: 1959

Shaft/Mine Details: 3 shafts, No. 1 372m (NS 7205 7056), No. 2 372m (NS 7204 7058), and No. 3 362m deep (NS 7208 7049). Coal lifted in Nos.1 & 2, and men up and down No. 3.

Details in 1948: Output 540 tons per day, 145,800 tons per annum. 683 employees. Campbell Binnie jig washer. No baths. Canteen, first-aid room. Electricity supplied by overhead power lines from Gartsherrie Iron Works, but 90% bought from Clyde Valley Supply. Report dated 19-08-1948.

Other Details: New coal preparation plant installed by Simon Carves in 1957 as part of a £1.25 million reconstruction project completed in 1958, which included the construction of a new shaft and concrete winding tower, and the introduction of battery-locomotive underground haulage. A gassy pit with a methane drainage system, but important producer of coking coal for the iron and steel industry, particularly Ravenscraig. Latterly the coal preparation plant processed output from Auchengeich [NS67SE 28].

M K Oglethorpe 2006.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions