Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Cladh Churadain

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Chapel (Period Unassigned)(Possible)

Site Name Cladh Churadain

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Chapel (Period Unassigned)(Possible)

Canmore ID 12883

Site Number NH56NE 2

NGR NH 5851 6731

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/12883

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Alness
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NH56NE 2 5851 6731.

(NH 5851 6731) Cladh Thuradain {NR}.

OS 6"map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1907)

'Cladh Churadain', St. Curitan's Graveyard, is a small rectangular buying ground north of the farmhouse of Assynt, used within living memory, and stated to have contained stones with inscriptions and carvings. It was inadvertently planted, but is now cleared and tended.

W J Watson 1904.

'Cladh Churadain' was discovered by Mr. Watson in 1899, and is doubtless the site of the Chapel of Fyrish, one of the three chapels in the parish mentioned in the old records.

W L W Brown 1910.

St. Curadon founded a church above Evanton, still called Cladh Churadain.

N Macrae 1923.

Cladh Thuradain is an enclosure 28.0m square, situated in a slight hollow within woodland. It is formed of banks or inward facing scarps 0.8m max. height. Parallel to and inside the S.W. side of the enclosure is a second bank, c.14.0m long and 0.3m maximum height, but this does not appear to form the remains of a building, nor is there any trace of a building in the area. There are a few stones and boulders within the enclosure but none appear to be inscribed or for that matter resemble gravestones in any way.

Revised at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (R D L) 3 May 1963.

Cladh Thuradain (NR)

OS 6"map, (1970)

Although the Ordnance Survey Name Book (ONB) authorises the OS spelling 'Thuradain', all other authorities agree that the dedication is to Curitan, 8th century bishop of Rosemarkie.

Name Book 1875; W J Watson 1926.

This site as described above is known locally as 'Cladh Churadain'. Revised at 1:10,000.

Visited by OS (J B) 22 November 1976

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions