Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Old Urray

Cemetery (Period Unassigned), Chapel (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Old Urray

Classification Cemetery (Period Unassigned), Chapel (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 12869

Site Number NH55SW 7

NGR NH 5070 5324

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/12869

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Urray (Ross And Cromarty)
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NH55SW 7 5070 5324.

(NH 5070 5324) Chapel (NR) (Site of)

OS 6"map, (1938)

A piece of enclosed ground used as a burial ground for the church district of Urray. A chapel stood in the graveyard, nothing now remaining, and the date of erection is not known.

Name Book 1876; OPS 1855.

There is no trace of this chapel. Just W of the OS siting symbol is a small 19th century burial enclosure which the parish minister (Mr Grant, Muir of Ord) believes incorporates part of its walls. This view however cannot be supported by ground inspection, though it is possible that some of the stone from the chapel could have been used in its construction. One of the stones forming part of the W door jamb bears the inscription AMD 18 1531. The graveyard is still in occasional use. The oldest legible gravestones are 19th century.

Visited by OS (J B) 23 June 1975.

Activities

Field Visit (28 August 1943)

When visited, the site of this chapel, by the south east end of the bridge over the River Orrin half a mile above its confluence with the Conon, was found to be occupied by a military encampment which must have destroyed any remains previously existing.

Visited by RCAHMS (AG) 28 August 1943.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions