Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dochmaluag House

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Dochmaluag House

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Davochmaluach House

Canmore ID 12788

Site Number NH55NW 16

NGR NH 5198 5996

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/12788

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Fodderty
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Activities

Photographic Record (8 September 1943)

Field Visit (30 June 1975)

The old house Dochmaluag at NH 5199 5996 appears to be an expample of post tower house architecture of the mid 17th century. It is a roofless rectangular block of two storeys and attic, c 10.0m high and measuring 6.0m N-S by 5.0m E-W over walls varying between 0.6m and 0.8m in thickness. The doorway to the plain un-vaulted basement is at the E end of the N wall. The door to the upper compartments is immediately above it and has apparently been reached from outside by a wooden stair, now destroyed. The walls are thickly coated with ivy. A contemporary barrel vaulted ice house in good order lies ten metres to the W.

According to the Earl of Cromartie, (Information from Earl of Cromartie to OS, 28 June 1975) Dochmaluag was a Mackenzie property at the beginning of the 16th century, and MacRae states that traditionally a Mary from Dochmaluag was a guest of King James IV in 1503. Cromwell's troops were garrisoned at Dochmaluag in the mid 17th century.

Surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (A A) 30 June 1975; N Macrae 1923

Field Visit (November 1978)

The overgrown remains of this three-storeyed tower-house stand 100m N of Dochmaluag. The much-reconstructed building, which probably originated in the 17th century, measures 4.3m from E to W by 3.7m transversely within a mortared-rubble wall 0.8m thick and has an entrance on the NW. A barrel-vaulted undercroft 20m W of the tower stands within what was probably an enclosure attached to the N of the tower. There is a rectangular out-building which incorporates a fireplace 50m SW of the tower.

RCAHMS 1979, visited November 1978.

Field Visit (March 1989)

No change.

Visited by RCAHMS (J R S) March 1989.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions