Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 19 Rose Street, Eagle Buildings

Church (Period Unassigned), Office(S) (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, 19 Rose Street, Eagle Buildings

Classification Church (Period Unassigned), Office(S) (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) United Presbyterian (Associate) Church; Ministry Of Labour (Women's Department)

Canmore ID 127861

Site Number NT27SE 2478

NGR NT 25419 73985

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/127861

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27SE 2478 25419 73985

Architecture Notes

REFERENCE:

'Originally a Burgher Church by Robert Brown, 1829, altered and extended as the Eagle Buildings by G. Washington Brown, 1905.'

The Buildings of Scotland, Edinburgh Volume, p.322

REFERENCE: Scottish Record Office

GD/906/3/1-23

Building of Rose Street Chapel for the United Presbyterian (Associate) Congregation (1828-31)

Architect: Robert Brown; Clerk of Works: William Mitchel; Contractor: George Drummond

Receipted accounts (1830-31)

GD/906/3/24

Altertation to the Old Manse for the use of the United Association Congregation

Contractor: George Drumond

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (18 June 2003)

Standing stone eagle with outstretched wings

Inspected By : T.S.

Inscriptions : None visible

Signatures : None visible

Design period : 1829 (as a Burgher Church) / 1905 (as Eagle Bldgs)

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN1026)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions