Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Mains Of Brux, 'tomb'

Architectural Fragment(S) (Period Unassigned), Enclosure (Period Unassigned), Tomb (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Mains Of Brux, 'tomb'

Classification Architectural Fragment(S) (Period Unassigned), Enclosure (Period Unassigned), Tomb (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Howff Park

Canmore ID 127756

Site Number NJ41NE 59

NGR NJ 4925 1720

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/127756

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Kildrummy
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Gordon
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ41NE 59 4925 1720

For laird's house and farmhouse at NJ4 4903 1692, and farmstead and mill at NJ 4892 1686, see NJ41NE 20.00 and NJ41NE 20.01 respectively.

Tomb [NAT]

1:10,000 map, 1972.

(Classification amended to 'Tomb', enclosure and architectural fragments). This 'Tomb', which lies about 320m NE of Mains of Brux farmsteading (NJ41NE 20.00), on the opposite side of the valley, appears to be little more than a small enclosure. Although apparently set on an artificial platform on the steep, W-facing slope, the interior still slopes slightly down from E to W and measures 11.2m square within a drystone wall measuring about 0.5m in thickness and up to 1.6m in height. There are no graves visible in the interior, only a large sycamore tree close to the ENE side. An entrance midway along the SSE side has been formed from the re-used sandstone jambs of a late 16th- or early 17th-century doorway, presumably robbed from the tower-house that once stood at Mains farmsteading, and what appears to be a large sandstone fireplace lintel is lying face up outside it. A small panel on the present upper face of the lintel bears the adjoined capital letters 'AEMF' in relief. These belong to Arthur Forbes, ninth laird of Brux, and Elizabeth Murray, who married in 1696.

Visited by RCAHMS (JRS), 16 August 2001.

W D Simpson 1949.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions