Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Tom Na Croiseige

Moot Hill (Period Unassigned), Motte (Medieval)(Possible)

Site Name Tom Na Croiseige

Classification Moot Hill (Period Unassigned), Motte (Medieval)(Possible)

Alternative Name(s) Tomnacross; Kiltarlity

Canmore ID 12749

Site Number NH54SW 7

NGR NH 5127 4134

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Kiltarlity And Convinth
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Inverness
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NH54SW 7 5127 4134

(NH 5127 4134) Tom Na Croiseige {NR}

(Formerly a Justice Seat)

OS 6" map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1907).

The burial ground of Tomnacross 'has only recently been enclosed for that purpose'. It contains the 'Seat of Judgement', an ancient circular mound with a smaller one on top, on which grew the 'Hanging Tree'.

W R MacDonald 1902

This structure consists of a grass-covered mound in the form of a truncated cone measuring 9ft in height with a surface diameter of 40ft and a basal one of about 70ft. No ditch is visible. The regular appearance of the sides which seem to have been scarped, suggest that this is probably a motte.

Information from R W Feachem, 30 August 1954

This feature is as described above. The name and tradition that it was once a gallows hill, is still known locally. No finds have been made recently.

Re-surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (NKB), 14 December 1964.


Publication Account (1876 - 1878)

The Ordnance Survey Name Book (1876-8) notes that 'This name signifies "The Hillock of the Cross" and is applied to a small eminence on which the parish church is situated. Immediately South of the church there is an artificial mound, which is supposed to have been used in former times as a Court of, and a place from which, Justice was dispensed,

ONB 1876-8

Field Visit (18 August 1943)

Motte, Tomnacross.

In the churchyard close to the church is a grass-covered mound of earth 9' high, about 65' in diameter, and not more than 40' across its flat top. The sides of the mound appear to have been scarped and a wall dug.

Visited by RCAHMS (AG) 18 August 1943.

Field Visit (30 August 1954)

This site was included within the RCAHMS Marginal Land Survey (1950-1962), an unpublished rescue project. Site descriptions, organised by county, are available to view online - see the searchable PDF in 'Digital Items'. These vary from short notes, to lengthy and full descriptions. Contemporary plane-table surveys and inked drawings, where available, can be viewed online in most cases - see 'Digital Images'. The original typecripts, notebooks and drawings can also be viewed in the RCAHMS search room.

Information from RCAHMS (GFG) 19 July 2013.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions