Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Stoura Clett

Structure(S) (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Stoura Clett

Classification Structure(S) (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 1270

Site Number HU53NW 4

NGR HU 518 380

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/1270

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Shetland Islands
  • Parish Bressay
  • Former Region Shetland Islands Area
  • Former District Shetland
  • Former County Shetland

Archaeology Notes

HU53NW 4 518 380.

(Area centred HU 518 380) The remains of two drystone buildings of uncertain character, lying within 50 yards of each other, can be seen high up on the cliff face near the islet of Stoura Clett, about 1/2 mile S. of Grutwick. The more northerly of the two, which is the better preserved, has consisted of two or three small irregularly -shaped cells or compartments separated by upright slabs. One of these compartments has a door-opening and two aumbries in the wall. Masonry has been used only in the spaces between boulders and the natural rock, which has been incorporated in the walling, and a roof has apparently been contrived by slabs laid horizontally, though irregularly, on the top. The general plan and constructional methods suggest an early date: the situation, per- ched among the debris and rocky outcrops of a precipitous cliff, with an almost perpendicular fall of some 70 or 80ft to the sea below, is unusual. The buildings are well hidden from the cliff-top and they are supposed, locally, to have been used for concealment during the days of the press-gang, and they may well have served this purpose, whatever their age and original purpose.

RCAHMS 1946. Visited 8 July 1930.

(From the plan these structures seem to have something in common with the Neolothic houses identified in Shetland by C S T.Calder, but they are not listed as such in his inventory in the Proc Soc Antiq Scot.

C S T Calder 1958.

At HU 5183 3813 are two crudely built structures of indeterminate character, as described and ilustrated by the RCAHMS. Obviously dwellings of some description; they are apparently sited here for concealment, but their date of construction cannot be ascertained.

Visited by OS(NKB) 16th May 1968.

Plan.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions