Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Killianan Burial Ground

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned)(Possible)

Site Name Killianan Burial Ground

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned)(Possible)

Alternative Name(s) Killianan Graveyard; Killianan Grave Yard

Canmore ID 12619

Site Number NH53SE 4

NGR NH 57162 34660

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/12619

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Inverness And Bona
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Inverness
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NH53SE 4 57162 34660

(NH 5716 3466) Killianan Grave Yard [NAT]

OS 6" map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1905).

See also NH53SE 3.

The old burial-ground of Killianan, Abriachan (Cill Fhionain - after St. Finan, 550-600 AD (W J Watson 1926)) is considered by the New Statistical Account (NSA). to be the probable site of the original church of Bona. There can be no doubt that formerly a church existed here, and a church at Aberihacyn (Abriachan) is mentioned in 1239 (Aitken 1893).

The graveyard is a square enclosure (W Jolly 1885 from which several tombstones have been removed to the churchyard of Kilmore in Glen Urquhart (J Ross 1888). No very distinct traces of a foundation of a church exist, although Grove ( Grove nd) shows a drawing of ruins at Killianan (Aitken 1893).

It is locally believed that there was a church within the graveyard, but there are now no traces of it. The graveyard is disused.

Visited by OS (N K B), 28 April 1970.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions