Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 6 King's Stables Road

House (Period Unassigned), Stable (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, 6 King's Stables Road

Classification House (Period Unassigned), Stable (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Lady Wind; King's Stables, Small Stable-yard And Dwelling House

Canmore ID 125367

Site Number NT27SE 2042.01

NGR NT 2522 7331

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/125367

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

See also:

NT27SE 2042.00 Edinburgh, King's Stables Road, King's Stables, General

2042.02 Edinburgh, King's Stables, Foreman's House and Engine and Boiler House

2042.03 Edinburgh, King's Stables, Manure pit and Stables

2042.04 Edinburgh, King's Stables, Stable and Van house

2042.05 Edinburgh, King's Stables, 8 King's Stables Road

2042.06 Edinburgh, King's Stables, 13 and 15 King's Stables Road

2056 Edinburgh, King's Stables, Stable-yard to South

Activities

Archaeological Evaluation (23 April 2014 - 14 May 2014)

This report presents the results of a desk-based and historic building assessment plus an archaeological evaluation at King's Stables Road, City of Edinburgh. The proposed site takes in land that is considered to have some potential for prehistoric, early historic, medieval and post-medieval remains due to its topography and the presence of significant archaeological remains in the near vicinity. The building assessment identified possible remains of the 18th century buildings constructed on the site plus the upstanding remains of the 19th century stables and slaughter house. The evaluation also identified further surving remains of the slaughter house. Test pits excavated below these remains and within the exsiting courtyard encountered a 0.5m thick layer of humic buried soil 1.5m below ground level. Below the buriad soil was a layer of increasingly sterile clay loam to a maximmum excavated depth of 3.1m. Bedrock was only encountered in one test pit.

Information from Don Wilson (Headland Archaeology) July 2014. OASIS ID: headland1-179046

Standing Building Recording (15 September 2015 - 17 September 2015)

A historical buildings appraisal was carried out at King's Stables Road, Edinburgh along with documentary reserach to assess the character extent and present layout of the former Kings Stable Road Complex. The report combined historical research in order to determine the historical significance of the buildings and mitigate against future site re-development of the site.

Information from Michael Cressey (CFA Archaeology Ltd) September 2015. OASIS ID: cfaarcha1-259348

Excavation (1 November 2017 - 31 May 2018)

Following previous evaluation work in 2014 and 2015, excavations at Kings Stables Road identified the remains of buildings mostly relating to the 19th century development of the site. In Area 1 the earliest remains can be related to the use of the building for the police stables (NT27SE 2042.03), which can be dated to 1874 by means of architectural plans. However, it must be noted that the footprint of the building, including the dimensions of the internal courtyard, conforms to the disused slaughterhouse (NT27SE 2042.00) depicted on the 1854 Town Plan. Therefore, it is likely the building was merely refurbished in 1874. The second phase in Area 1 relates to the building’s use by the Department of Lighting and Cleansing, which had taken over the premises sometime after 1951. Area 2 had seen the most change. Most of the later changes can be directly related to the 1854 Edinburgh Town Plan, however, the function of the buildings are not shown on the map. At some point prior to 1876 the buildings in the courtyard were demolished and new buildings (NT27SE 6247) were constructed along the southern boundary of the site with associated police yard. Building conversions carried out by the Edinburgh Council Lighting and Cleansing department resulted in the buildings which were present on the site prior to demolition. There were a large number of tanneries depicted on the 1854 Edinburgh Town Plan bordering the south of the development site. King’s Stables Lane was previously named Tanner Street on Kincaid’s 1784 map. The large quantities of horn and occasional fragments of leather recovered from deposits within Area 2 are indicative of the by-product of the tanning process. Therefore, the cattle were being slaughtered on site and their hides were then being tanned in the tanneries close by. The identified remains within Area 4 can be directly related to the 1854 Town Plan. The two north-south aligned walls (1018 and 1047) represent the remains of the large trapezoidal building depicted on the town plan. It is likely that the well (1007) belonged to this phase as well as it was located within an area which was shown as an open courtyard in the 1854 Town Plan. The project archive, comprising all CFA record sheets, maps and reports, will be deposited with Historic Environment Scotland and copies of reports will be lodged with the City of Edinburgh Council Sites and Monuments Record.

Information from Gary Savory and Oliver Rusk (CFA Archaeology Ltd) September 2019. OASIS ID: cfaarcha1-332068

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions