Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Blackpotts

Settlement (Medieval)(Possible)

Site Name Blackpotts

Classification Settlement (Medieval)(Possible)

Canmore ID 123577

Site Number NT96NW 51

NGR NT 90671 67839

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/123577

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Coldingham
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Berwickshire
  • Former County Berwickshire

Archaeology Notes

NT96NW 51 9067 6784

NT 87 70 to NT 91 67 An archaeological survey was undertaken by Headland Archaeology Ltd of land owned by the National Trust for Scotland at St Abb?s Head, Lumsdaine Shore and Blackpotts.

A total of 18 features, or groups of features, of archaeological and historical interest were recorded, ten already documented, at least in part, in NMRS records.

NT 9067 6784 Settlement (site of).

Sponsors: Historic Scotland, National Trust for Scotland

S Carter 1997

NT 9067 6784 As part of the survey conducted by Headland Archaeology Ltd on behalf of the National Trust for Scotland on its land at and near St Abb's Head, mentioned above (S Carter 1997), this site was examined and recorded. An undated late 18th century plan of Blackpotts (Scottish Record Office, RHP 14792) shows a group of buildings at this location. This plan does not mark the present farm buildings known as Blackpotts, so these may be an earlier location for Blackpotts. Roy's Military Survey (sheet 9/3 1747-55) marks a settlement at this approximate location called Blackbull. There are no visable surface remains and Headland Archaeology Ltd recommends that disturbance of the area is avoided.

Sponsors: National Trust for Scotland, Historic Scotland

NMRS, MS/899/44 (Headland Archaeology Ltd 16/10/1997).

Activities

Field Visit (1997)

NT 9067 6784 As part of the survey conducted by Headland Archaeology Ltd on behalf of the National Trust for Scotland on its land at and near St Abb's Head, mentioned above (S Carter 1997), this site was examined and recorded. An undated late 18th century plan of Blackpotts (Scottish Record Office, RHP 14792) shows a group of buildings at this location. This plan does not mark the present farm buildings known as Blackpotts, so these may be an earlier location for Blackpotts. Roy's Military Survey (sheet 9/3 1747-55) marks a settlement at this approximate location called Blackbull. There are no visable surface remains and Headland Archaeology Ltd recommends that disturbance of the area is avoided.

Sponsors: National Trust for Scotland, Historic Scotland

NMRS MS/899/44 (Headland Archaeology Ltd 16/10/1997)

Sbc Note

Visibility: Evidence for this site, or the origins of this site, comes from documentary sources. Nothing may be visible at this location.

Information from SBC.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions