Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Mull, Torosay Castle

Country House (19th Century), Dovecot(S) (Period Unassigned), Terraced Garden (19th Century)

Site Name Mull, Torosay Castle

Classification Country House (19th Century), Dovecot(S) (Period Unassigned), Terraced Garden (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Duart Castle And Scallastle Estate; Achnacroish House; Duart House; The Tangle Of The Isles; Torosay House

Canmore ID 123014

Site Number NM73NW 5

NGR NM 72896 35294

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/123014

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Torosay
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NM73NW 5 72896 35294

Torosay Castle [NAT]

OS (GIS) MasterMap, October 2009.

Architecture Notes

See also:

NM73NW 7 NM 72725 35354 Stables and Steading

NM73NW 8 NM 72877 35228 Statue Walk

NM73NW 12 7485 3522 Mull, Duart, Duart Home Farm

NM73NW 13 7134 3797 Mull, Java, Java Lodge

NM73SW 18 7465 3240 Mull, Gorten Farm

NM73SW 19 7380 3438 Mull, Kilpatrick Farm

NM73SW 20 7218 3262 Mull, Oakbank

NM73SW 21 7230 3495 Mull, Upper Achnacroish Farm.

ARCHITECT: David Bryce 1856

(Undated) information in NMRS.

Victorian 'Scottish baronial' mansion completed in 1858 for John Campbell, replacing Achnacroish House. Sold to Arbuthnot Charles Guthrie 1865. Set in 12 acres of gardens, now including statue walk (see NM73NW 8), walled garden (c.1780), water garden, rockery, domed folly, sculpted fountains, sundial (c.1822), and Japanese garden with spectacular sea view. Layout of formal terraces attributed to Sir Robert Lorimer, 1899.

C James c. 2000.

Activities

Publication Account (1985)

The present Torosay Castle was completed in 1858 for Colonel Campbell of Possil to the design of the distinguished architect David Bryce, in what is now known as Scots Baronial style. The castle provides a vivid impression of Victorian and Edwardian country life in the West Highlands. The irregular crow-stepped gables and turreted fa91de combine to suggest venerable antiquity. The interiors illustrate the styles and fashions of the period, and there are several fine portraits of the Guthrie family. The gardens are equally remarkable, having been laid out by Robert Lorimer in 1899; the uppermost terrace, the Fountain Terrace, is just below the house, with The Lion Terrace just below that The beautiful Statue Walk is immediately to the WSW. The statues themselves form the largest group of 18th century Venetian pieces to be found in Britain and were purchased in Milan around 1900 for inclusion in the garden. They are from the workshop of Antonio Bonazza (1698-1763) and comprise huntsmen, gardeners, fishermen and female figures.

Information from ‘Exploring Scotland’s Heritage: Argyll and the Western Isles’, (1985).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions