Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

We have updated our mapping software and are trying out some new background mapping layers. Please let us know what you think by clicking here.

New Lanark, Rosedale Street, 9-10 Double Row

Tenement (18th Century)

Site Name New Lanark, Rosedale Street, 9-10 Double Row

Classification Tenement (18th Century)

Alternative Name(s) New Lanark Mills; New Lanark Industrial Village

Canmore ID 122878

Site Number NS84SE 58.17

NGR NS 87911 42650

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Lanarkshire
  • Parish Lanark
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Clydesdale
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

Site Management (8 October 2008)

One of a terrace of mill workers' houses. Rubble built with droved ashlar dressings and quoins. 8 bays with 3 windows to each bay with central doors to N and S. 3 storeys to N, 4 and 5 storeys to S elevations. Timber sash and case windows. Straight skews, slate roof, end and axial stacks. (Historic Scotland)

Founded in 1785 by David Dale, a Glasgow merchant, taking advantage of water power from the River Clyde, the village became internationally famous under the management of Dale's son in law, noted social and educational pioneer Robert Owen. The mills were closed in 1968, with the village falling into disuse. New Lanark Conservation Trust was formed in 1974 to bring the site back into use. In 2001 the village was inscribed as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO. (New Lanark Conservation Trust).


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions