Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Harris, Amhuinnsuidhe

Head Dyke (Post Medieval), Township (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Harris, Amhuinnsuidhe

Classification Head Dyke (Post Medieval), Township (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Govick

Canmore ID 122258

Site Number NB00NW 4

NGR NB 040 081

NGR Description centred on NB 040 081

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/122258

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Western Isles
  • Parish Harris
  • Former Region Western Isles Islands Area
  • Former District Western Isles
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NB00NW 4 centred on 040 081

"..The remains of several houses are to be seen here, which were once occupied by tenants..."

Name Book 1881

A township comprising six unroofed buildings, an enclosure, some field walls and a head-dyke is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire, Island of Harris 1881, sheet ix). Four roofed, two unroofed buildings, two enclosures, some field walls and a head-dyke are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1973). These buildings form part of the township of Amhuinnsuidhe, which on the 1st edition is shown as less extensive and lying to the SE of the township of Leosavay.

Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 20 February 1997

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions