Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Inverbervie, Craig David, Underground Headquarters, Rotor Radar Station

Military Headquarters (20th Century), Radar Station (20th Century)

Site Name Inverbervie, Craig David, Underground Headquarters, Rotor Radar Station

Classification Military Headquarters (20th Century), Radar Station (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Craigdavid; Bervie Brow

Canmore ID 122203

Site Number NO87SW 65

NGR NO 8407 7348

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/122203

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Kinneff
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Kincardine And Deeside
  • Former County Kincardineshire

Archaeology Notes

NO87SW 65.00 8407 7348

NO87SW 65.01 NO 8416 7333 Radar Site; Radio Mast

NO87SW 65.02 NO 84356 75139 Building (Transmitter Site)

NO87SW 65.03 NO 84480 75292 Building (Receiver Site)

Noted as Inverbervie, ROTOR radar station (CH readiness) in 1954 and CEW station in late 1958.

J Gough 1993.

Vertical air photography (Fairey Coastal Colour 7343 3212-13, flown 11 August 1973) has recorded a small T-shaped building set into a fold in the uneven headland of Bervie Brow about 1.2km NE of Inverbervie village (NO87SW 45). It is approached by a track from the N and is set upon a flat surface which measures about 40m by 20m and may be the roof of an underground structure. Immediately to the SE of the building there are a low rectangular building and a frame-like array; the function of these structures is unclear but they may have formed part of a ventilation system for the underground headquarters.

Earlier vertical air photography (540/RAF/1383 F21 0303-4, flown 7 August 1954, 58/RAF/2115 F21 0239-40, flown 27 February 1957, OS 67/059/084-5, flown 25 April 1967 and OS 67/287/027-8, flown 27 July 1967) show the surface building as being similar at those dates. No evidence of occupation was noted on any imagery, and the installation may have had a reserve status as both a radar site and a headquarters.

The surface building is of traditional construction, being intended to present the impression of a cottage, but contains (basic) domestic facilities including a large water tank. The main (underground) floor is at a depth of nearly 18m, artificially lit and ventilated, and protected by blast doors at the entrance. The estimated areas of the main (lower) and mezzanine floors are 5625 and 3437 sq ft, respectively.

Although said locally to date from the 1930's, this protected underground building is recorded as having been built in 1952 as part of the East Coast radar chain and rebuilt in the 1960's (when the mezzanine floor was inserted); it remained in use until 1985.

The surface building at this monument appears similar to that at the radar station and military headquarters at Troywood, Fife (NO50NE 30) and it appears probable that the reconstruction of the 1960's similarly involved its conversion to a Regional Seat of Government (RSG) staffed by Civil Defence personnel.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 17 October 1997.

NMRS, D/91828-9/NC.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions