Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Weaklaw Rocks, Fidra Battery

Coastal Battery (Second World War)

Site Name Weaklaw Rocks, Fidra Battery

Classification Coastal Battery (Second World War)

Alternative Name(s) Marine Villa

Canmore ID 121931

Site Number NT58NW 45

NGR NT 5029 8596

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/121931

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Lothian
  • Parish Dirleton
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District East Lothian
  • Former County East Lothian

Archaeology Notes

NT58NW 45 5029 8596

The few remains of this coast battery have mostly been subsumed under the site of Marine Villa to the N of Eldbottle Wood. It is possible that part of the battery could be incorporated into the house. One searchlight emplacement still stands on the shore and the battery observation post can be seen behind the modern house. The engine room was recently demolished and another house built on the site.

The battery was constructed during World War Two and mounted two 6-inch Mk XI guns, numbered 2234 and 2274 issued May 1940, on Mk PVI mountings.

J A Guy 1997; NMRS MS 810/5, 163, 164, 169-171.

The searchlight emplacement lies outside the private boundary on the coastal path at NT 50183 85950.

Information from RCAHMS (DE), March 2005

The probable accommodation camp is visible within woodland on Ordnance Survey aerial photographs (OS/62/031, frames 175 and 176, flown on 01 May 1962) as a cluster of 08 buildings, centred at NT 5039 8595.

Information from RCAHMS (KM) 25 May 2006

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions