Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 77 Holyrood Road, Tenement

Commercial Premises (20th Century), Tenement (20th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, 77 Holyrood Road, Tenement

Classification Commercial Premises (20th Century), Tenement (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) South Back Of Canongate

Canmore ID 121444

Site Number NT27SE 1764

NGR NT 26581 73701

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/121444

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE

71-91 Holyrood Road, Sculptured panels.

Information supplied by Gillian Haggart, Historic Scotland.

"Unfortunately, the tenement, though designed and built by Dunn & Findlay, post-dates the closure of Holyrood (and John Ford) Glass Works on the site, and therefore can only be linked historically to the works by virtue of its having re-used 2 sculptured panles which originally embellished the pre-existing and very elaborate 1871 building: presumably demolished to make way for this 1907 tenement (the glassworks closed in 1904). The tenement itself does not merit listing as a building of architectural, nor of historical importance, although we are in agreement with Huntly House Museum about the importance of the salvaged sculptured panels depicting glass-blowing and glass-cutting, and would hope that in the event of demolition the panels could be saved and perhaps lodged with Huntly House Museum to supplement their very extensive Glass Works collections."

July 1991

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions