Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 41-49 Holyrood Road, Tenement And Shop

Shop (19th Century), Tenement (19th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, 41-49 Holyrood Road, Tenement And Shop

Classification Shop (19th Century), Tenement (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) South Back Of Canongate; 41, 43, 45, 47 And 49; Clermiston Buildings

Canmore ID 121440

Site Number NT27SE 1760

NGR NT 26482 73637

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/121440

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Activities

Standing Building Recording (22 March 2010 - 26 March 2010)

NT 26405 73751, NT 26434 73760, NT 26478 73628 and NT 26501 73643 A programme of archaeological works consisting of a building survey and an evaluation of the site’s archaeological potential was carried out on 22–26 March 2010. The historic building assessment recorded the 12 standing structures that form a complex of attached buildings on the former brewery site. A total of six trial trenches were then excavated across the development area, four on the N terrace and two on S terrace. Most of the trenches encountered remains of 18th/19th-century structures lying directly beneath modern surfaces and make-up material. Archaeological remains uncovered in the northern terrace appeared to represent the remains of buildings associated with the brewery which appeared on the 2nd Edition OS map of 1896, with evidence of deep deposits of made ground directly pre-dating these buildings in some areas. No structures of medieval or definite pre-19th-century date were found, although one trench on the northern terrace produced evidence of relatively thick medieval garden soils. The two trenches on the southern terrace uncovered the basements of tenements and shops, which first appeared on the OS Town Plan of 1867–77 and were demolished during the late 1970s. Backfill deposits within these basements were excavated up to 3m below the modern ground surface and the potential for earlier remains to survive below this depth is considered to be low.

Archive: RCAHMS

Funder: Watkin Jones Group

John McCarthy – Headland Archaeology Ltd

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions