Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 37 Holyrood Road, Old Kirk Of Edinburgh And Church Hall

Church (19th Century), College (20th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, 37 Holyrood Road, Old Kirk Of Edinburgh And Church Hall

Classification Church (19th Century), College (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Moray House College Of Education; Moray House Training College; South Back Of Canongate; Moray Church

Canmore ID 121433

Site Number NT27SE 1754

NGR NT 26378 73600

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/121433

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

Built by Anderson and Browne 1881-2 to accommodate the congregation which worshipped in St Giles' Cathedral, and was acquired by Moray House Training College National Committee circa 1945, and equipped for use by the music and educational handwork departments.

Activities

Standing Building Recording (27 July 2018)

AOC Archaeology Group was commissioned by the University of Edinburgh to undertake an historic building record of the Old Kirk located at 37 Holyrood Road prior to the renovation of the building. The Old Kirk - originally known as St John Street Church - was built between 1881 - 1882 in an area of open land on Holyrood Road, the site of a former drying green. It was designed by Robert Rowand Anderson and George Washington Browne to accommodate the congregation of St Giles Cathedral and was designed to seat 875 people and included a first floor gallery. An additional hall was built to the north-west of the Kirk in the 1910s (now demolished), and the kirk was then brought by the adjacent Moray House in 1944 to be used as a training centre. In the 1950s, a linking building containing a main entrance lobby and reception was built between the kirk and the hall, which survived the demolition of the hall in the late 20th century. In recent years, it has also been used as a base for the main construction contractors. Today, little of the original arrangement of the kirk remains with the exception of the main entrance lobby and stair towers to the south-east side. Many of the interior windows have been covered over with modern plasterboard and areas have been partitioned to create smaller spaces, meeting rooms, offices and a toilet block. This being said, the original character of the roof is still in situ, visible above the false ceiling, which includes a heavily glazed hipped roof to the south-east supported on thin cast-iron columns with large brackets. The original leaded windows survive to the south and east stair towers, although the remainder of the windows are thin metal-framed casements, a 1950s replacement to the original leaded windows.

Information from Diana Sproat (AOC Archaeology Group) 27 July 2018. OASIS ID: aocarcha1-325191

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions