Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Edinburgh, 140 Cowgate

House (19th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, 140 Cowgate

Classification House (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Hangman's House; Jock Scott's; Old Fishmarket Close

Canmore ID 121314

Site Number NT27SE 1745

NGR NT 2582 7348

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/121314

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

Hangman's Close was named for the public lockman or executioner. In 1861, John Whyt, the "gude toun's lockman", built himself a house is Fishmarket Close "on the East side of the dwelling formerly possessed by him". (from Stuart Harris, "Place Names of Edinburgh", 1996, page 323)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions