Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 143, 145 And 147 Cowgate, Kay's Close

Term Pending

Site Name Edinburgh, 143, 145 And 147 Cowgate, Kay's Close

Classification Term Pending

Canmore ID 120920

Site Number NT27SE 1722

NGR NT 2578 7345

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/120920

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

Kay's Close is listed on Ainslie 1780, but the name's origin is obscure. It was also Power's or (Dame) Poor's or Powrie's, evidently from John Power, merchant in the close in 1635, unless the Laurence and Gilbert Power or Powrie, listed as former owners in titles of 1707, were his predecessors. (from Stuart Harris, "Place Names of Edinburgh", 1996, page 363)

REFERENCE: NATIONAL LIBRARY OF SCOTLAND

In the Nationla Library of Scotland, Vol II, No 24 of Water Colour Sketches by Thomas Brown, Advocate, is a view in this Close on the South side of the Cowgate. Reference "Adv.MSS.34.8.1-3". See under "Water Colour Sketches, Series of, by Thomas Brown, Advocate".

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions