Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 109 Cowgate, Campbell's Close

Alley (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, 109 Cowgate, Campbell's Close

Classification Alley (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 120917

Site Number NT27SE 1719

NGR NT 2571 7343

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes


(West) Campbell's Close is listed on Ainslie 1780 and was named as an access to the premises of Alexander Campbell, brewer here in 1773, whose enterprise subsequently developed into the famous brewery of Campbell, Hope and King. Earlier, the close was Bailie Robertson's Close, for Thomas Robertson of Lochbank, bailie in 1681 and 1684, who had a tenement on the east side of the close, adjoining Ratteray's Close (see NT 27SE 1720). (from Stuart Harris, "Place Names of Edinburgh", 1996, page 147).

Edinburgh, 83-91 Canongate and Campbell's Close which were Category A & B Listed were demolished in 1960.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions