Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 101 Cowgate, Dyer's Close

Alley (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, 101 Cowgate, Dyer's Close

Classification Alley (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Hume's Close

Canmore ID 120898

Site Number NT27SE 1704

NGR NT 2569 7342

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/120898

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

Dyer's Close is listed as Hume's Close on Ainslie 1780 and was named either for David Home, litster, who acquired a tenement and dyer's yard here at some date prior to 1736, or else it was for Peter Home, who with his wife Agnes Rae built a land called "Cairthall" in the close some time before 1709. The close was also known as Dyer's Close, from David Home or his successors in the trade; and its other name Crombie's Close was from an Andrew Crombie, silk dyer. It is listed on Edgar 1742 as Craig's Close, but nothing is known about its derivation. Finally, the close is referred to in 1761 as Cart's Close, which seems to refer to the Cairthall mentioned above. Since Peter Home and his wife built another Cairthall on the south side of the Grassmarket, it is possible that they were in trade as carriers snd that the close name was a plural Cairts Close. (from Stuart Harris, "Place Names of Edinburgh", 1996, pages 346-7)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions