Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 26 Cowgate, Pollock's Close

Term Pending

Site Name Edinburgh, 26 Cowgate, Pollock's Close

Classification Term Pending

Canmore ID 120859

Site Number NT27SE 1688

NGR NT 2557 7342

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/120859

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

Pollock's Close is listed on Ainslie 1780 and was named for John Pollock, who kept an inn and stables here in the early 1770s that served as headquarters for carriers to and from Jedburgh, Hawick, Broughton, Moffat, Stirling and Dunblane. Before that, the close was Skinners Close, possibly in connection with William Graham, skinner, who married a Catherine Alison of the family connected with the adjoining Alison's Close; but since Grahams were skinners in Edinburgh from 1474 onwards, there could be some other family connection with the close. (from Stuart Harris, "Place Names of Edinburgh", 1996, page 500)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions