Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Cluanie Inn

Inn (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Cluanie Inn

Classification Inn (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 12072

Site Number NH01SE 1

NGR NH 07629 11739

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/12072

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Glenshiel
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Skye And Lochalsh
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Recording Your Heritage Online

Cluanie Inn, started 1787 An isolated staging post situated where drovers of old turned south for Tomdoun via Loch Loyne, built on the instructions of Macdonell of Glengarry. Despite additions by George Rhind, 1842 , and 20th century accretions, it is still recognisable as the typical two-storey, threebay change house associated with the coming of improved routes through the glens. This was one of two inns in the parish (the other being at Shielhouse) built "for the comfort of travellers". In Glen Shiel, a bypassed bridge on the old road, Telford, 1815, marks the site of the battle of Glenshiel, 1719.

Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions