Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Sand Of Udrigill, Chapel

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Chapel (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Sand Of Udrigill, Chapel

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Chapel (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Laide, Chapel Of Sand Of Udrigil

Canmore ID 12066

Site Number NG99SW 1

NGR NG 9020 9201

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/12066

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Gairloch
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NG99SW 1 9020 9201.

(NG 9020 9201) The chapel of Sand of Udrigil, situated in a churchyard crowded with graves, close to the village of Laide is stated by Dr. Scott (A B Scott 1908) to have been built (about 1713) by George Mackenzie of Gruinard, but the universal tradition in Gairloch is that it was erected by St. Columba or one of his followers in the 7th century and that the chapel was only thatched by Mackenzie, "if indeed his place of worship were not an altogether different edifice."

The chapel is placed nearly east and west and at one time its single window showed possible remains of mullion and tracery, which suggest a date earlier than the 18th. century, although the walls are cemented with a form of lime used in several local 18th century houses. The chapel was in use at least until the end of the 18th century.

J H Dixon 1886; A B Scott 1908; A C M Mitford 1936

In a graveyard still in use, are the unroofed remains of the chapel, measuring 8.8m. E-W by 5.8m. N-S. The walls, 0.7m. thick, are bonded with shell mortar. The E and W gables are virtually intact, the former being pierced by a partially destroyed mullioned window (see Ground Photographs on OS card). The N and S walls survive to a height of 1.5m. There are several late gravestones within the ruins of the chapel, the earliest dated 1834, although one appearing older cannot be deciphered. The tradition that the chapel was erected at the time of St. Columba is still known locally, but the present architectural features are much later.

Visited by OS (N K B) 16 March 1965.

Activities

Photographic Survey (16 October 2013)

A photographic survey of this site was made through the RCAHMS Threatened Building Survey, whilst working in the locality, to upgrade a site record with no previous photographic archive.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions