Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Duart

Field System (Period Unassigned), Head Dyke (Post Medieval), Rig And Furrow (Medieval), Township (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Duart

Classification Field System (Period Unassigned), Head Dyke (Post Medieval), Rig And Furrow (Medieval), Township (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 120572

Site Number NN50NW 18

NGR NN 5302 0892

NGR Description Centred on NN 5302 0892

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/120572

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish Callander
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN50NW 18 centred on 5302 0892

The upper edge of a township and its associated field-system of enclosed rig (NMRS MS 899/23, no.50), on either side of the Allt an Fhearna, was noted during an archaeological survey of the Glenfinglas Estate by Headland Archaeology. The township of Duart is almost entirely submerged although a substantial mound of rubble on the shoreline forms the remains of two or three demolished buildings. To the SE, there is a single rectangular stone building footing, which measures 8m by 5m, and three turf-banked enclosures.

The location and extent of the enclosed land closely matches the arable land depicted by Stobie (1783).

S Carter and M Dalland (Headland Archaeology) 15 January 1997; NMRS MS 899/23, no.50

J Stobie 1783

NN 53 09 (centre) An archaeological survey of the 42 sqkm Glenfinglas Estate was undertaken by Headland Archaeology Ltd comprising a desk-based assessment of available documentary sources followed by a walk-over survey. A total of 68 archaeological sites, groups of sites or areas were recorded. The vast majority of recorded structures (198 out of 250) are single examples or groups of rectangular and sub-rectangular buildings, all probably of medieval or later date. Cultivation remains were recorded, ranging from small, isolated patches of rig up to the extensive enclosed field systems of the main settlements.

Documentary sources indicate that a royal hunting forest was established in the later 14th century and survived in modified form until at least the 18th century. Settlement patterns established by the 15th century persisted into the 18th century when the first detailed maps were prepared. These show nine separate farming townships with loosely clustered settlements, fields, woodland and grazing land. Agricultural change and rural depopulation in the 19th and 20th centuries created the present-day landscape with settlement clustered around Brig o'Turk. Comparison of the field record with documentary sources demonstrates that many of the surviving archaeological sites date from the period of high population in the 18th century. Many individual mapped structures can still be identified in the field. Earlier, medieval sites survive in the upper glens away from areas of permanent settlement.

Sponsors: Tilhill Economic Forestry, Woodland Trust.

S Carter 1997

A township, comprising seven roofed, two unroofed buildings, four enclosures a field-system and a sheepfold is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Perthshire 1866, sheet cxiv). The township which is now submerged is not shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1978).

Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 29 January 1998.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions