Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glenarigolach

Corn Drying Kiln (Post Medieval), Field System(S) (Post Medieval), Lazy Beds (Post Medieval), Rig And Furrow (Medieval) - (Post Medieval), Township (Post Medieval)

Site Name Glenarigolach

Classification Corn Drying Kiln (Post Medieval), Field System(S) (Post Medieval), Lazy Beds (Post Medieval), Rig And Furrow (Medieval) - (Post Medieval), Township (Post Medieval)

Canmore ID 12056

Site Number NG98NE 2

NGR NG 9819 8980

NGR Description centred on NG 984 897

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/12056

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Lochbroom
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NG98NE 2 984 897.

'Glenarigolach' is the name applied to a number of ruins about 1 mile south-east of Rhidorcha and about half a mile south of Carn Leum Niall.

Name Book 1875, ref no. 35, 109

In the sheltered valley of Allt a' Ghlinne, 300 ft OD., there is a depopulated settlement, still known locally as Glenarigolach, which comprises the extant remains of 22 rectangular buildings, varying in size from 30.0m x 4.0m to 5.0m x 3.0m and with an average height of 1.3m. There are also several 0.7m high heather covered earth and stone field banks and enclosures in the area, within which there is evidence of lazy beds and field clearance. It is evident in two of the longest buildings that they comprise a dwelling and byre as a drainage duct can be seen running along the centre of one of the compartments. Another significant feature of this site is a small corn-drying kiln measuring 5.0 x 3.0m.

Visited by OS (N K B) 22 March 1965; Visible on RAF air photographs CPE/SCOT/321: 3168-9 70-1

Nine unroofed buildings, an enclosure, some field walls and two field-systems are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Ross-shire and Cromartyshire 1881, sheet xx). Twenty-two unroofed buildings, some field walls and three field-systems are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10560 map (1968).

Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 13 February 1996

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions