Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Fingask Platform

Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Site Name Fingask Platform

Classification Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Fingask Station; Muirton

Canmore ID 120118

Site Number NJ72NE 80

NGR NJ 779 268

NGR Description NJ c. 779 268

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/120118

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Bourtie
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Gordon
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ72NE 80 c. 779 268

This intermediate station on the Oldmeldrum branch of the Great North of Scotland Rly. was opened (by the Inverurie and Old Meldrum Rly.) in 1866 and closed to regular passenger traffic at the closure of the branch (by the London and North-Eastern Rly.) on 2 November 1931. It was described as Fingask Station in some timetables.

Inbnformation from RCAHMS (RJCM), 15 August 1997.

R V J Butt 1995.

Nothing is now visible of this railway station and its site lies in rough, uncultivated ground 190m NNW of Muirton farmsteading (NJ72NE 72). Despite being opened in 1866, it is not depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Aberdeenshire, 1870, sheet xlv), which was surveyed in 1865, and the station may have comprised nothing more than a short timber platform.

Visited by RCAHMS (JRS), 4 April 1999.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions