Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Paisley, Linwood, Middleton

Anti Aircraft Battery (20th Century), Military Camp (20th Century)

Site Name Paisley, Linwood, Middleton

Classification Anti Aircraft Battery (20th Century), Military Camp (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Gsg6; S6; Clyde Aa Defences; Loch End

Canmore ID 119887

Site Number NS46SE 90

NGR NS 4540 6415

NGR Description Centred NS 4540 6415

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/119887

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Renfrewshire
  • Parish Paisley (Renfrew)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Renfrew
  • Former County Renfrewshire

Archaeology Notes

NS46SE 90 centred 4540 6415

Formerly entered as NS46NE 44 (relocated from air photograph evidence).

This heavy anti-aircraft battery has been completely destroyed by the extension of the engineering works. The battery consisted of four emplacements with the GL mat (radar horizon hexagon) to the NW. The accommodation camp was immediately N of the A761 public road.

Information from RCAHMS (DE) July 1997

The site of this battery has now been built over by a Engineering Works. The battery was armed with four 3.7-inch guns.

J Guy 2001; NMRS MS 810/11, Part 3, 192-3

The site of this heavy anti-aircraft battery subsequently was used to build the Rootes Linwood Car factory which closed in the 1980s. The site is now part of the Phoenix Retail Park and probaly lies beneath the ASDA car park.

Information from Defence of Britain Project recording form (J Macdonald), 1996.

Activities

Field Visit (22 June 2017)

Nothing is now visible in an area occupied by the Phoenix Business Park of a World War Two heavy anti-aircraft battery, one of at least 43 such batteries that were constructed to protect the industries in the centre of Glasgow and along the banks of the River Clyde from aerial attack by the Luftwaffe during WWII. Details of the battery are visible on RAF vertical aerial photographs (CAM/025 1790 and CAM/038 11904) taken on 29 July 1942 and 19 April 1943 respectively.

Visited by HES, Survey and Recording (ATW, AGCH) 22 June 2017.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions