Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Port Glasgow, Devol

Anti Aircraft Battery (20th Century), Military Camp (20th Century)

Site Name Port Glasgow, Devol

Classification Anti Aircraft Battery (20th Century), Military Camp (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) As1; Clyde Aa Defences; Devol Farm

Canmore ID 119884

Site Number NS37SW 55

NGR NS 3280 7365

NGR Description Centred NS 3280 7365

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/119884

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Inverclyde
  • Parish Port Glasgow
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Inverclyde
  • Former County Renfrewshire

Archaeology Notes

NS37SW 55 Centred 3280 7365

A heavy anti-aircraft battery, with four gun-emplacements and accommodation camp was situated in an area now occupied by Devol Industrial Estate. (NLA 44, 5.58-5.59, flown 27 August 1942)

Information from RCAHMS (DE) July 1997

This World War II heavy anti-aircraft battery which was situated to the E of the reservoir near Devol, has been totally destroyed by modern housing developments.

J Guy 2001; NMRS MS 810/11, Part 2, 158-9

This heavy anti-aircraft battery is visible on post-war RAF vertical air photographs (106G/UK 1208, 5371-2, flown 17 March 1946). The four gun-emplacements and command position are situated to the S of the road. An additional two gun-emplacements between the main group and the road may indicate that this battery was supplied with extra guns at some point during the war. The main group of at least 25 acommodation buildings are situated to the N of the road, whilst a further group of twelve are to the E of the gun-emplacements. There is no evidence on the air photographs of any radar installation (Gl-mat and ramp).

Information from RCAMS (DE), November 2002

Activities

Field Visit (22 August 2017)

Nothing is visible in an area now occupied by housing and industrial buildings of a heavy anti-aircraft battery which is recorded on RAF vertical aerial photographs taken on 27 August 1942 (NLA 44, 5.58-5.59) and 17 March 1946 (106G/UK 1208, 5371-2). It was one of at least 43 such batteries that were constructed to protect the industries in the centre of Glasgow and along the banks of the River Clyde from aerial attack by the Luftwaffe during WWII.

Visited by HES, Survey and Recording (ATW, AKK) 22 August 2017.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions