Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Cuag

Cruck Framed Building (Post Medieval), Farmstead (Period Unassigned), House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Cuag

Classification Cruck Framed Building (Post Medieval), Farmstead (Period Unassigned), House (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 119030

Site Number ND13SE 104

NGR ND 1552 3298

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/119030

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Latheron
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Caithness
  • Former County Caithness

Archaeology Notes

ND13SE 104 1552 3298

Cuag is depicted as a group of four roofed and two unroofed buildings on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Caithness, 1871), sheet xxxiii, and is still shown on the latest edition of the OS 1:10000 map as three unroofed buildings. The OS Name Book describes Cuag as 'a farmsteading and dwelling house on the slope betwixt the public road and the Burn of Houstry' (ONB 1871).

Information from RCAHMS (DE) July 1997

The farmstead of Cuag is situated at the foot of the river terrace below the hut-circle ND13SE 44 and on the E bank of the Burn of Houstry. It comprises two ranges around a yard (with the main range along the S side), a kiln, and several enclosures. The building forming the E end of main S range, on the S side of the yard, has opposed entrances and cruck slots are visible in its walls. Set into a small bank to the SE of this range there is a kiln; overall the kiln measures 5m from N to S by 4m transversely and there is a circular stoke hole on the SW.

The OS Name Book describes Cuag as a 'farmsteading and dwelling house on the slope between the public road and the Burn of Houstry, about 2 miles N East from Dunbeath, property of Sinclair Esq of Dunbeath Castle' (Name Book, Caithness, No. 6, p. 238] and it is depicted as roofed on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Caithness, 1872, sheet xxxiii).

Visited by RCAHMS (DE, IP) August 1997

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions