Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 16, 18, 20 Waterloo Place, Old Post Office

Post Office (19-20th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, 16, 18, 20 Waterloo Place, Old Post Office

Classification Post Office (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) General Post Office

Canmore ID 117824

Site Number NT27SE 1408

NGR NT 25990 74021

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/117824

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

NT27SE 1408.00 25990 74021

NT27SE 1408.01 cancelled site

Information from catalogue slip

Architect: Joseph Kay 1814-15, James Smith 1845

REFERENCE

Scottish Record Office

Letter from Sir John Marjoribanks Bt., to Lord Melville. He sends a new map of Edinburgh and writes about the need for a new P.O. building to be situated on the South side of Regent's Bridge on the East side of the arch and flanked on the East by the boundary of the churchyard. 84' x 50' space available. Lorimer is contractor of the Regent's Bridge. He has offered to take the old post office (site?) and to give the new one or the difference of (pounds)8,000.

1818

GD51/5/83

Activities

Note (28 February 2017)

The GPO referred to in the inscription on the duty stone was built in 1814 and was located at 16-20 Waterloo Place. Its replacement the (now converted) GPO building located at the foot of North Bridge/Waterloo Place was completed in 1861 (architect, Robert Matheson).

Information from Survey and Recording, Industrial Survey (MMD), Heritage Directorate, HES, 28 February 2017.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions