Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 28 Calton Hill, Rock House

House (18th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, 28 Calton Hill, Rock House

Classification House (18th Century)

Canmore ID 117537

Site Number NT27SE 1369

NGR NT 26083 74111

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/117537

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Summary Record

Late C18th semi detached house, three bay, two-storey and attic.

In the 1840's the house belonged to Robert Adamson who with D O Hill were two of the earliest developers of calotype photography. The studio was used by a number of other photgraphers over the years, including Francis Caird Inglis. The studio on the site was on the site of the current lodge, Minnow house. Rock House was restored and Minnow house was built with Nicholas Groves Raines architects in c.2002.

The sculpture in the minnow pond is a finial from the roofline of the David Bryce New Club on Princes Street, demolished in the 1960's.

CAJS 2015

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions