Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 4, 5, 6 South Bridge

Shop(S) (Period Unassigned), Tenement (18th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, 4, 5, 6 South Bridge

Classification Shop(S) (Period Unassigned), Tenement (18th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Niddry Street

Canmore ID 117434

Site Number NT27SE 1344

NGR NT 25957 73621

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/117434

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (4 August 1999)

Fourteen satyrs (?) heads form keystones above windows on two upper floors, seven per floor.

Inscriptions : None

Signatures : None

Design period : c.1860 (building refronted)

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0153)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions