Edinburgh, West Princes Street Gardens, Allan Ramsay Monument
- Council Edinburgh, City Of
- Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
- Former Region Lothian
- Former District City Of Edinburgh
- Former County Midlothian
The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.
The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.
Field Visit (10 October 2000)
Standing figure of Ramsay wearing a night cap, in the act of composing. He holds a book in his left hand and a pencil in his right. On a pedestal decorated with portrait heads in high relief of Lord Murray (north side), Mrs Ramsay (west side), General Ramsay (south side), and Lady Campbell and Mrs Malcolm (east side).
The whole stands on a base which houses the works of the floral clock, with cannons projecting from the corners. Below each cannon is a small head: (1) female (on the north-east, facing east); (2) bearded male (on the south-east, facing east); (3) female (on the south-east, facing south); (4) female (on the south-west, facing south); (5) female child (on the south-west, facing west); (6) bearded male (on the north-west, facing west). Each head has foliage in place of hair. On the west side of the base is an arched door, over which is a thick carved rope, knotted at each end.
Allan Ramsay, born in Leadhills 1686. Died 1758. Wig-maker and poet.
Inscriptions : On front of pedestal:
At base of each portrait head:
LORD MURRAY (north side);
LADY CAMPBELL / MRS MALCOLM (east side);
GENERAL RAMSAY (south side);
[MRS R]AMSAY (west side).
Signatures : On the west side of the statue:
J.STEELL, R.S.A., SCULPTOR
Design period : 1857 - 1865
Year of unveiling : 1865
Unveiling details : 25 March 1865
Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0174)