Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


Farmstead (Period Unassigned), Settlement (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Altnacardich

Classification Farmstead (Period Unassigned), Settlement (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 116704

Site Number NH54SE 39

NGR NH 57910 42586

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2023.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images


Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Kirkhill
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Inverness
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NH54SE 39 578 425

NH 44/54 OS 578425 No. 36

S.W. of Altnacardich.

There appear to be the remains of an old settlement here, consisting of a low turf wall running S.E. for 17 yards with a gap of 11 yards, and then a further 24 yards in the same direction. A short distance further down there is a turf wall 2 feet high running N.N.W for 21 yards where there is a right-angle corner, after which it runs down hill for 13 yards. Here there is a gap of 6 feet, and then the stone footings of the gable of a building on the same line. The opposite gable is 6 yards long and situated 9 yards to the S.S.W. 28 yards downhill and towards the north, there is a turf wall 22 yards long and running from West to East. 7 yards down from the east end of this fail dyke there are the stone footings of a build with an outside measurement of 13 yards x 5 yards. This building runs downhill and has a doorway facing south near the S.E. corner. There are stone footings of an adjoining structure on the same line. at the lower end.

Coghill et al 1989


Reference (2009 - 2009)

Creation of 1st Ed OS 6-inch map extract for Canmore

Srp Note (21 March 2012)

A farmstead comprising two roofed buildings is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 25-inch map, surveyed in 1868 (Inverness Mainland 1881, Sheet XI.10 (Combined)). The buildings are not shown on the subsequent edition of the map, published in 1904, suggesting they were no longer in use by that date.

Information from RCAHMS (GFG) 9 March 2012


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions